Project Run and Play has changed things up this year, and I couldn’t be more excited! The news of 12 months of sewing parties has landed a permanent smile on my face. To kick off the new year and new format, the wonderful and talented Alida of Alida Makes has chosen her Bubble Dress Tutorial for this month’s challenge.
To say that fabric can make or break a piece is an understatement. I had originally purchased some bold solid cottons with the intention of color blocking and adding pockets. The image in my head was perfect. The image in real life…not so much. Yikes. Talk about a clown costume! It. Was. HORRIBLE. I kid you not. HORRIBLE. Thus, another trip to the fabric store ensued.
I had sewn a bubble skirt several months ago for Miss P, but she has such a slender frame that it swallowed her up. I knew I needed something really lightweight that would be more flow-y than bubbly. Then, I found it. This absolutely B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L white chiffon with gold sequined dots. (Let’s get real, folks. It’s a faux chiffon.) Next to it, this equally beautiful white satin that I knew would make the perfect lining. (Also, faux. My wallet is not that of a neurosurgeons. Ha!) Both were lightweight enough to do what I wanted. So 20 minutes in the cutting line later – they were short staffed, and it was a sale day – and another 10 in line, I went home with a fresh excitement to start (eh hem, AGAIN) my entry for this month’s challenge.
Alida’s tutorial was super easy to follow, and the dress is such a quick sew. I used her measurements with the plans that Miss P’s bubble dress would actually be more of a bubble tunic, and at 8 years old, the length is just perfect for that. The chiffon was pretty slippery, so I just attached my walking foot that I use for knits, and it sewed up like butter.
The straps were my nemesis. I finished the tunic portion in no time at all, but sat for over a week staring at it, trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the straps. I finally settled on bringing some more “bubble” to the straps to make up for the less bubbly bottom of the tunic. I used the satin to make straps that were 2″ wide and then spent several hours carefully scrunching, pinning, and hand sewing the chiffon around the straps. What I ended up with were two straps that turned out better than I imagined, and the bubbly-ness of them just adds that extra touch that I was looking for.
I chose to criss-cross the straps in the back to give it a bit of a change from just having regular straps, and I love how it turned out.
All-in-all, I’m so happy that the first attempt ended up in sewing suicide. If it hadn’t, I never would’ve bought this fabric, and it was SO worth it! Head on over to Project Run and Play and check out all of the other awesome entries! It’s a one-stop-shop for loads of talent!
This past weekend I had a baby shower to attend for a cousin of mine…